Go Back   Frag Outpost Forums - Coral Propagation and Reef Aquarium Forums > FragOutpost Forums > Coral Propagation

Old 11-02-2004, 09:34 AM   #1
rj593

rj593 is on a distinguished road
Default How to frag green montipora cap?

I have a green montipora cap that I would like to frag a piece of it for a friend. What is the best way to frag this coral?
________
Payment protection insurance forum

Last edited by rj593 : 03-22-2011 at 03:11 AM.
rj593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 09:38 AM   #2
FragOutpost
Administrator

FragOutpost is on a distinguished road

The easiest way is to just break off a piece and either super glue or epoxy it to a rock or some rubble.
FragOutpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 01:36 AM   #3
chin_monster

chin_monster is on a distinguished road

The simplest way to frag a cap is to snap off a piece of one of the "petals". either with your fingers or better with some sort of pliers or cutters. The most controlled way I've found is use a dremel cutting wheel (if the coral can be removed from the tank) which allows an exact and controlled piece to be removed from the parent colony. Otherwise the break is at least somewhat random and sometimes really bad (I've sometimes had virtually all of the parent colony brak off or shatter -not pretty).

I've found that it's best to use gel superglue (the thickest that you're able to find) to attach the frag to whatever base you're using. Epoxy against live tissue leads to a much high mortality of frags than does glue, as well as certain corals just don't tolerate uncured epoxy very well (bali slimer). In my experience while using epoxy to attach orange cap frags at least one in five frags wouldn't survive, when I switched to/ discovered the glue method the loss rate fell to virtually none.

The epoxy works best to cement/ secure the base of a frag onto the liverock structure.

That's been my experiences, FWIW.
chin_monster is offline   Reply With Quote