Yeah jawfish will do that. When I first got my dusky jawfish he would disappear for weeks at a time, usually making a burrow facing the back of the glass. It took a little time to coerce him to make a burrow facing the front glass. I would have to say that the jawfish is one of my favorite fish and one of the reasons keeping me from going barebottom.
I'm not sure if you have kept a jawfish before but when it begins to make a burrow you should "feed" it some small pieces of rubble everyday. When your not looking it will take the rubble and reinforce the inner walls of the burrow. Keep feeding rubble until it has fully established its burrow and stops consuming the rubble you are placing out for it.
Excellent fish. It's construction habits can be very entertaining.
- Massive water change (again) to see if I can stablize the water parameters.
- Upgrade the pluming... Drilled out second 1" bulkhead on the overflow. Now running the Mag 9.5 at full power. Much more turbulence in the water now.
- Re-attached some corals to the liverock.
- Analyzed way to clean up all the extra zoos I have... (Anyone wants some?)
- Final assessment of the damage from the last system crash. (Looks like not going to loose anything else. Brain coral receded a bit and green polyp digitata also receded a bit. But seems to be stabalizing.