Go Back   Frag Outpost Forums - Coral Propagation and Reef Aquarium Forums > FragOutpost Forums > Nano Reefs

Old 03-20-2006, 06:47 PM   #1
avbryce1

avbryce1 is on a distinguished road
Default Live sand to Bare Bottom

whoa... Its been a while. But its good to be back.
I still have my 10 gallon tank and I'm still working on setting up my 100 gallon. I had the 100 gal. up and running this summer and it had a leak I just got the leak fixed and sand back in the tank some time in the next couple of weeks I will be filling it up and starting the cycle.
My plan is this. I am going to be slowly moving all of the contents of my 10 gal into my 100 gal. The first thing I will be moving into my 100 gal is all of the sand from my 10 gal to help seed the new sand. I will empty all of the water and livestock from my 10 gal. into a rubbermaid container. After all of my water, liverock, etc. is out of the 10 gal I will scoop all of my sand into my 100 gal. and re-stock my 10 gal. with all the same water, liverock, corals, fish, etc.

Question: do you think going from livesand to barebottom will harm my livestock?

After the cycle finishes and the 100 gal. tank matures some I will start to move the contents of my 10 gal over to the 100 gal. Once the 10 gal is empty it will become a small frag tank.

I am not getting out of nano's I just want one of those 24g nanocubes
plus I want to see what the corals that are currently in my 10g. will do under MH lights
avbryce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 07:14 PM   #2
FragOutpost
Administrator

FragOutpost is on a distinguished road

Welcome back avbryce1!
The livestock will be fine switching to bare bottom.You could probably use some 5/8" plastic tubing to siphon out the majority of your sand without disturbing your rockwork if you are careful. Just an idea. That way you wouldn't have to take everything out of the tank but you likely wouldn't get all of the sand either. Anyways, I look forward to seeing some photos when your tank is set up. When you turn the 10 gal into a frag tank are you planning on running it separately or plumbing it into 100 gal?

FragOutpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:22 PM   #3
avbryce1

avbryce1 is on a distinguished road

I will start posting pics again soon. when I set up the 10 as a frag tank I will just be using the filtration that is currently on it
avbryce1 is offline   Reply With Quote