Go Back   Frag Outpost Forums - Coral Propagation and Reef Aquarium Forums > FragOutpost Forums > Photos

Old 02-21-2006, 08:14 PM   #1
salazar

salazar is on a distinguished road
Default Salzar's 46g bowfront

Here is my setup I really want to start keeping SPS also.
Attached Images

salazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:19 PM   #2
FragOutpost
Administrator

FragOutpost is on a distinguished road

Thanks for sharing photos of your tank. Please tell us more about it.
Are you running a sump or refugium?
What is your flow in the tank?
What is your filtration? Are you running a protein skimmer?
I'm not sure if you answered this one already but how long has your tank been established?

FragOutpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:23 PM   #3
FragOutpost
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by salazar
Here is my setup I really want to start keeping SPS also.
Pavona is a good beginner SPS coral.

Old 02-21-2006, 08:25 PM   #4
pogo

pogo is on a distinguished road

wow nice corals that is a colorful clam
pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:38 PM   #5
salazar

I have only been keeping coral for 1 year tank for 2 so the setup was originally for fish only (lights were changed and live rock) but it has worked out very good.I have 3 96watt power compacts, a Fluval 404 canister filter, Red sea prizm hang on skimmer
About 60-70lbs of live rock & crushed coral.
What do you guys think i should upgrade?
Everything is really growing fast and looks healhty except the flowerpot but i have had it 1 yr end of life maybe?
Does anybody know what the red coral is?
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2006, 08:46 PM   #6
FragOutpost
Administrator

What kind of media are you using in the canister filter?
If your flowerpot coral is a goniopora then they are difficult to keep in the aquarium and normally have higher mortality rates.
My guess on the red one is a lobophyllia or a trachyphyllia. Not sure though . Maybe someone with more experience with LSP can chime in and identify it for you.

Old 02-21-2006, 09:44 PM   #7
salazar

Media is sponge filter then carbon then forgot what they are called look like hollow 1/2 in. tubes cut in 1/2 lenghths for bacteria to grow in. As you can tell im fairly inexperienced but i have done pretty good. Water changes are done weekly 10% and additives dosed bi-weekly. I have never lost a coral only a yellow tang and an lyretail anthius to ich. The flowerpot had done really good for a year it would open to about 8-9in then it only would open to about 4in. LFS said they(goniopora) only live for about 6months?.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:52 PM   #8
FragOutpost
Administrator

Personally I would remove any foam or sponge like filter media. These harbor nitrate producing bacteria, which is not a bad thing in a fish only or a softies tank but if you plan on keeping sps the I would remove them. If your nitrates are high then they should be easier to maintain without the foam filters. A filter sock with minimal surface area is a better choice. In a reef environment you want to encourage the growth of anaerobic bacteria and discourage the growth of aerobic bacteria.

Goniopora is, in my opinion, one of the corals that should not be harvested for massive retail distribution until more studies can be done on how to decrease the mortality rate in the home aquarium. They are a species that requires specialized care for long term success.

I learned this lesson the hard way when I was a newbie and purchased a goniopora from the LFS who said "Sure they are easy to keep". Six months later and it was toast.

Last edited by FragOutpost : 02-22-2006 at 07:39 AM.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:56 PM   #9
D12monkey
Acrotographer

D12monkey has a spectacular aura aboutD12monkey has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to D12monkey Send a message via MSN to D12monkey Send a message via Yahoo to D12monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragOutpost
Personally I would remove any foam or sponge like filter media. These harbor nitrate producing bacteria, which is not a bad thing in a fish only or a softies tank but if you plan on keeping sps the I would remove them. If your nitrates are high then they should be easier to maintain without the foam filters. A filter sock with minimal surface area is a better choice. In a reef environment you want to encourage the growth of anaerobic bacteria and discourage the growth of aerobic bacteria.

Goniopora is, in my opinion, one of the corals that should not be harvested for massive retail distribution until more studies can be done on how to decrease the mortality rate in the home aquarium. They are a species that requires specialized care for long term success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragOutpost
I learned this lesson the hard way when I was a newbie and purchased a goniopora from the LFS who said "Sure they are easy to keep". Six months later and it was toast.

Amen to that.