Go Back   Frag Outpost Forums - Coral Propagation and Reef Aquarium Forums > FragOutpost Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 12-29-2006, 06:33 PM   #1
amonte

amonte is on a distinguished road
Default Power outage

We lost power for 21 hours right before the holiday weekend and our reef tank fell to 67F . when the power came back on our T5 Nova Extreme was fried and we had to use a couple of old strip lights with old bulbs in them for 3 days till the store opened. everything looks good except the Yellow Figi Leather (It looks better than it did). I'm concerned about the holes (they weren't there before), should I be doing anything for this ?
Attached Images

amonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 01:57 PM   #2
D12monkey
Acrotographer

D12monkey has a spectacular aura aboutD12monkey has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to D12monkey Send a message via MSN to D12monkey Send a message via Yahoo to D12monkey

Keep a close Eye on those "sores" they are the first sign that the leather may be dying. I've had my old leather do that several times before and it healed up with good water parameters. But when my system crash it just could'nt heal itself and died.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:34 PM   #3
amonte

thank you for the input, I was afraid you were going to say that. Thankfully we had fragged that leather not to long ago and the frags are doing well. The parent in the picture appears to be doing better and better everyday, so with a little luck we will prevail. Do you think it was the low temp or the lack of good light that did the damage. Or was it just the combination of them both?
Old 01-03-2007, 09:33 AM   #4
D12monkey
Acrotographer

Send a message via AIM to D12monkey Send a message via MSN to D12monkey Send a message via Yahoo to D12monkey

They are very sturdy corals but I think it could be a factor of no water movement, shock from the sudden water temp change. Not a lighting issue it think.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:13 PM   #5
amonte

Your'e probably right on the low water movement and temp. The only thing we were able to do was put a battery powered airator in there. It seems to be doing well now. I've added another powerhead to increase water movement, hopefully that will help.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:33 AM   #6
D12monkey
Acrotographer

Keep us posted.