Go Back   Frag Outpost Forums - Coral Propagation and Reef Aquarium Forums > FragOutpost Forums > New to Reefkeeping

Old 06-03-2006, 10:14 PM   #1
jinenon

jinenon is on a distinguished road
Default Trace elements, iodine and calcium

The next step to my learning and questions has arrived. All my levels are low and stable. The skimmer is pulling the smelliest, nastiest stuff ive ever seen out of the tank and the clarity of the water (even looking down the side of the tank, no green or yellow tint) is remarkable. So, i went to the lfs today and got some sea chem iodine, calcium reef complete trace elements and a Hagen Nutrafin calcium test kit. And, another 10 lbs of live rock. I tested the water and the calcium was 300. I put each supplement in the tank as directed with a 5 minute break between each one. Left the skimmer on. That was about 230 pm. I come back at about 8pm and the tank has become drastically clearer. The colors in the zoo's, hammer coral and starburst polyps became more defined and "deeper". I didnt expect that much of a change in one dose. Is that normal? Does the clarity of the water change when adding supplements? Crappy pic attached. Thanks in advance!
Jesse
Attached Images

jinenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:52 PM   #2
FragOutpost
Administrator

FragOutpost is on a distinguished road

water clarity is usually affected by two things, 1 - nutrients (dissolved organics) in the water column and free floating particles. Mechanical filtration with a filter sock will remove the free floating particles and protein skimming and carbon will reduce the yellowing caused by dissolved organics. Adding additives will not have as much of an impact as the methods mentioned above

Last edited by FragOutpost : 06-06-2006 at 10:57 PM.
FragOutpost is offline   Reply With Quote