Go Back   Frag Outpost Forums - Coral Propagation and Reef Aquarium Forums > FragOutpost Forums > New to Reefkeeping

Old 05-25-2006, 01:27 AM   #1
jinenon

jinenon is on a distinguished road
Default Premixed Water

I was at my LFS and noticed they have premixed reef water. I know you vets wouldnt do this because you have all the equipment needed to make your own but since i dont have a tap filter, DI, or RO unit im considering purchasing this for .50 a gallon. Is this a reasonable solution to not having your own equipment?
jinenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:54 PM   #2
Teeka01

Teeka01 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Teeka01

That is a good price. Around here it is 1.00 a gallon. And purified seawater is 1.99 a gallon. I am 2 months new, But I still make my own. Make sure it is made with ro/di water.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:57 PM   #3
FragOutpost
Administrator

FragOutpost is on a distinguished road

If your only other alternative is to mix up tap water then I would opt for the premixed from the LFS. Is this fresh premixed saltwater or is it straight out of the tanks at the LFS? This may be a silly question but I have seen water sold straight out of livestock holding tanks before. I would not buy water straight out of a livestock tank because of numerous reasons but most of all because of risk of introducing disease or parasites. Save up for a RO/DI unit and a rubbermaid trashcan. It will be as good of an investment as buying a good skimmer.

FragOutpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 02:45 PM   #4
avbryce1

avbryce1 is on a distinguished road

I also use premixed from my LFS
avbryce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 11:51 AM   #5
jinenon

jinenon is on a distinguished road

I believe its straight from the holding tanks because this place is unbelievably huge. They have about 300 bins on the floor and a holding bin thats probably 5,000 gallons and i believe thats where he got the water from. I ran tests on the water before i put it in the tank and it tested good. But, as for parasites that is a good question.....
jinenon is offline   Reply With Quote