Go Back   Frag Outpost Forums - Coral Propagation and Reef Aquarium Forums > FragOutpost Forums > Reef Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-07-2006, 08:27 PM   #1
EvilTwin
One lucky reefkeeper

EvilTwin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to EvilTwin
Default Serious Nitrate Issues!

I have been trying to combat a serious rise in Nitrates over the past two days. I have only one thought of what may have caused it, but need some advice. Frag and I chatted about this last night but things aren't any better and are, in fact much worse today. Two days ago I started seeing elevated Nitrates, maybe 10-15. Yesterday that number had climbed to 20 so I did a 10g water change. I currently have about 90g of water volume between sump and tank. Tested again but saw no change. This evening I test again and the number has skyrocketed to 80! The one thing I can think of that may be causing this is I had a snail die on me the other day. Before I even knew it, my cleanup crew had it out of the shell and was picking every scrap clean that they could find. Could this be the reason for the extra bioload? I see no increase in ammonia or nitrites. I changed another 5g today and need to check levels again. I have tested my new water and it is zero on the nitrates. Anyone have any ideas here?
EvilTwin is offline   Reply With Quote