Go Back   Frag Outpost Forums - Coral Propagation and Reef Aquarium Forums > FragOutpost Forums > Lighting, Filtration, & Other Equipment

Old 01-10-2007, 03:28 PM   #1
JeffDubya

JeffDubya is on a distinguished road
Default Two MH Questions

Question 1:

With my diving equipment, I use compact HID lights. Granted, they are very different from MH lighting, but there are similarities.

With HID, when you turn on the light and fire the ballast, you really NEED to wait a minimum of two minutes before you turn it off. I am told this is to save the bulb.

I notice a similar start up sequence with my MH (14K) pendant, and I am wondering... once that pendant is turned on, should I wait any particular amount of time before shutting it off?

Question 2:

For my prop tank, I am currently using a 12 hour photoperiod. Too long? Just right? Please let me know.
JeffDubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:20 PM   #2
D12monkey
Acrotographer

D12monkey has a spectacular aura aboutD12monkey has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to D12monkey Send a message via MSN to D12monkey Send a message via Yahoo to D12monkey

Most locations that you can find coral reef in the world contain about 12 hours of daylight with about 4 hours of intense light. The metal halide don't really have dimming capabilities. The corals only really need these 4 hours from the Metal Halides. Then the rest of the time it could be with either VHOs or t5 lighting. Though longer times won't do any damage to the coral it'll make the light spectrum of the bulbs shift faster so you would need to change your bulb faster.

The most optimum time to change the bulb would be with the use of a light spectrum analyzer if you can and want to afford one. Otherwise the age old 6 month period works pretty good.

The lights should be turned on and off as your MH diving lights.