Go Back   Frag Outpost Forums - Coral Propagation and Reef Aquarium Forums > FragOutpost Forums > DIY

Old 07-23-2006, 12:30 AM   #1
jinenon

jinenon is on a distinguished road
Default my sump design

Heres a pic of what im in the middle of right now. I finally found a site that had a good idea of how they work with a diagram so i figured id make one of my invention. Comments please before i get my pump lol....
Attached Images

jinenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:33 AM   #2
Murfman
125 RR, 49 corner Pony

Murfman is on a distinguished road

I used to use two acrylic sumps and found it was too hard to keep the water levels even. I ended up going with a 55. I would get a 20 long and put dividers in it for a sump/fuge. IMHO, it will be too hard to regulate how much water you are moving over to the return pump area.
Murfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:49 PM   #3
D12monkey
Acrotographer

D12monkey has a spectacular aura aboutD12monkey has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to D12monkey Send a message via MSN to D12monkey Send a message via Yahoo to D12monkey

Unless you put some bulkheads between the two tank it's going to be very difficult to match the GPH of the pumps. You may be draining one tank too fast and that would leave a noisy system full of air bubbles. OR not drain fast enough and overflow one of them straight into the floor.

I used to have 4 tanks cycling together to increase my water volume and only had one tank with a pump to return the water. The rest was done via overflows with the last tank being able to support all the water that would drain in the event of a power faliure.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:10 AM   #4
jinenon

jinenon is on a distinguished road

Thanks for replying guys. After hearing your input, i think i am gonna go with the 20 long idea, the only thing that sux is i cant find dividers anywhere. I eventually wanna turn the 20 long into a fuge/sump and without the dividers it will not be good. That is why i was trying to do the 2-10g tanks. If you vets have or know anyone that has dividers for a standard 20 long, please let me know, I'm more than willing to purchase. Jesse
jinenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 01:36 AM   #5
Murfman
125 RR, 49 corner Pony

Murfman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinenon
Thanks for replying guys. After hearing your input, i think i am gonna go with the 20 long idea, the only thing that sux is i cant find dividers anywhere. I eventually wanna turn the 20 long into a fuge/sump and without the dividers it will not be good. That is why i was trying to do the 2-10g tanks. If you vets have or know anyone that has dividers for a standard 20 long, please let me know, I'm more than willing to purchase. Jesse

You can pick up some plexi glass and make dividers, just ensure that you leave enough of a gap to allow for expansion. You need not worry about the strength of the silicone on the plexi glass as you are not trying to hold a full tank of water in it, just deflecting the waters path.
Murfman is offline   Reply With Quote