Go Back   Frag Outpost Forums - Coral Propagation and Reef Aquarium Forums > Community Center > Off Topic Discussion

Old 05-09-2005, 09:53 PM   #1
D12monkey
Acrotographer

D12monkey has a spectacular aura aboutD12monkey has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to D12monkey Send a message via MSN to D12monkey Send a message via Yahoo to D12monkey
Default Lets find out what everyone's job title!

Well I'm a receptionist, Dive instructor, Mechanic, Handyman/Customizer, Photographer/videographer, Student and soon to be a real estate agent. In no particular order. What do y'all do to pay for your hobbies?
Old 05-10-2005, 05:19 AM   #2
Jackfish

Jackfish is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Jackfish

Lets see,

Carpenter, boat builder, mechanic, industrial electrician/plumber,welder, A+ certified computer repair tech, fiber optic tech, assistant scuba instructor/dive master. basicly an over qualified handy man I dive Rhode Island, the land of 3 to 6 foot vis and cold water oh and Zoo rancher

Jack
Jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 06:19 AM   #3
D12monkey
Acrotographer

Send a message via AIM to D12monkey Send a message via MSN to D12monkey Send a message via Yahoo to D12monkey

Jackfish <-- Your a jack of all trades huh. Same here just haven't had a chance to build a boat. Would love to though.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:00 PM   #4
FragOutpost
Administrator

FragOutpost is on a distinguished road

Internet development, programming, and graphic design.

and the most important job title - Cyano Farmer

FragOutpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 01:59 AM   #5
itZme

itZme is on a distinguished road

I have done almost everything in the construction trade, (carpentry, concrete, plumbing, septic tanks, run backhoes) also washed dishes, bus tables, waited tables, delivered appliances for about 6 yrs, hydraulics technician, stereo installer, auto parts sales counter, steel worker, fabricator/certified welder, built custom hydraulic lift trucks for about 6 yrs, Graphic Artist at a local newspaper, build/sell/repair computers and now...... drumroll please... I am a STAY-AT-HOME dad. I worked 70-80hrs a week for the last couple years to get my wife through nursing school and she graduated and then said "Why don't you take some time off and stay home with our kids until our little one starts school in Aug. 2006?"

It is really different to know what the kids are doing in school and see the teachers all the time. I make dinner about 6 days a week. Pack lunches for our 2 older kids and my wife, do laundry and clean the house. Then I get to spend time with my 4 yr old. It is great to have a relationship with my family other than coming home from work tired and dirty and falling asleep right after dinner on the couch. The kids hardly saw me when I was working so much.

I am pretty much a jack-of-all-trades too but now I only get paid with smiles and thanks.

-- itZme
itZme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 08:40 AM   #6
FragOutpost
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by itZme
steel worker, fabricator/certified welder,

What kind of welding did you do?
When I got out of high school I got certified in stick vertical and overhead and mig. I worked as a welder for 5 years before getting into programming.

Old 08-14-2005, 11:31 AM   #7
itZme

itZme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What kind of welding did you do?

I was certified with MIG unlimited thickness mild steel flat/vertical/overhead. I got into building lift trucks and they paid for my cetification test and gave a 50 cent/hr raise if anyone passed it so I jumped on the opportunity and passed first try. It really was quite easy just time consuming to fill up that gap between 2 one inch plates that had been sliced at 45 degrees. (like this \ / ) It took about an hour to complete and now I have the cert card that never expires in Ohio.

We built custom designed lift equipment (like fork lifts but for a specific need) and some of the guys there went off and formed their own company to compete with the original place. They called me andwanted me to work there so I went to check it out. They had 2- 5,000 watt laser cutting machines, 300 ton brake presses and all kinds of new equipment to make my life easier so I took the job. I ended up being the only person in the shop to do the assembly which entailed all hydraulics (layout, routing, making hoses and plumbing it all) all electrical (layout, running all cables and terminating them properly) and also welding the chassis together. That's why I just tell people "fabricator" because it was really a little of everything. I really liked the job because I got to figure out how to solve a problem, then build it and draw it up for the engineers to document, then my design was in the books and would always be used unless there was a flaw or improvement found.

Here's a link to the second place where I was the only assembler. I did the site for them too and the cheesey flash intro since they wanted "something exciting" on the front page but I left a way to click past since those flash intros are so over used and waste dial-up bandwidth. The last truck I worked on there was a 240,000 lb capacity die-changing truck that was 12 ft wide and 16 ft long it was shipped from Ohio to Mexico by truck. It was neat, lifted 240,000 lb block of steel and could pull or push it onto the table or onto the machine that used them.

They had another guy there that did the TIG welding and I never got a chance to learn that but always wanted to.

I have a lot less cuts/burns/scrapes now just staying home.

-- itZme

See avatar for pic.
itZme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 12:39 PM   #8
reefergirl

reefergirl is on a distinguished road
Default job title

hello Im a horticulcurist just a fancy name for gardener.but I need something to keep me busy in the long canadian winters so I appted for gardening under water (my reef tank)but Im not sure what would be cheaper going somewhere warm or buying more stuff for my tank.All I can say it beats building igloos ha ha!!!
Old 08-14-2005, 01:08 PM   #9
FragOutpost
Administrator

Reefergirl, how long are the winters in Canada? Doesn't the ground freeze solid there in the winter? Here in Florida winter lasts for about a month, and then its hot for the other 11. How long have you been a horticulturist?

Old 08-14-2005, 10:00 PM   #10
D12monkey
Acrotographer

cool stories finally get to see some more movement on here. Glad to see that you are all participating. That's a wide range of job titles itZme. LOL hmm maybe we should have a contest here to see who wins the jack of all trades award on here. LOL Reefergirl... What kind of plants do you cultivate? hopefull nothing too illegal . Just kidding. I too like to cultivate orchids in the backyard with my mom at her place. Currently we house 60 plants and 30 different spieces of orchids.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:56 PM   #11
salazar

salazar is on a distinguished road

My job experience started at 16 in a music store, then went to a television repair shop as a electronic bench tech, then built and troubleshooting of Ozone machines. Worked two years at Learjet troubleshooting cabin management systems, now i build and repair flight management systems for business jets.

Last edited by salazar : 02-26-2006 at 07:14 PM.
salazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 09:00 PM   #12
FragOutpost
Administrator

Wow. Sounds impressive salazar.

Old 02-25-2006, 09:15 PM   #13
Peterock

Peterock is on a distinguished road

Active Duty Navy, combat photographer & graphic design. Tattoo Artist, Prior auto mech.
Peterock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 11:24 PM   #14
D12monkey
Acrotographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by salazar
built and troubleshooting of Ozone machines.

I have 2 machines that need a little service... Hint hint.... Very impressive indeed.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:25 PM   #15
D12monkey
Acrotographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterock
Active Duty Navy, combat photographer & graphic design. Tattoo Artist, Prior auto mech.

Have any photos to show off? tats or combat.... just some photos in generall...
Old 02-26-2006, 07:13 PM   #16
salazar

salazar is on a distinguished road

Electronics interested me at a young age (kept me out of trouble) I like to think its pretty impressive considering i got 16 years professional experience at age 33 in a pretty wide range of electronics...ps...i will trade any electronic repair or maintenance for frags LoL
salazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:58 PM   #17
Teeka01

Teeka01 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Teeka01

With all my back problems I am a stay at home wife or as my hubby calls it a Suzy homemaker. That way I have plenty of time to daudle with my tank.
Teeka01 is offline   Reply With Quote