Thread: I am a newbie
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2005, 06:59 AM   #2
D12monkey
Acrotographer

D12monkey has a spectacular aura aboutD12monkey has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to D12monkey Send a message via MSN to D12monkey Send a message via Yahoo to D12monkey

First off

OK now to answer the questions.

I lot of people go with a wet/dry filter for their tanks. So the line of think that you have in that perspective is correct. And the size is good but I prob would like for myself one that could handle a 300 gal tank. Now for the lighting issue: If you want to keep hard corals then I would definately consider Metal Halides (MH) though a little more expensive to set up and run than the other lights out there. I would also run some sort of auxiliary lighting but that's optional. Usually the majority of people running MH bulbs run some sort of actinic color lighting to make the tank more appealling to the eye. For this light I would purchase the new current usa NOVA light it's a T5 that runs extremely cool and put outs more light than a vast majority of lights. As for the chiller you may or may not need it. It depends on how much lighting you and how much heat you have in the tank. The idea water temp would be around 78 degrees. I personally had ran my reef tank in the low 80s where it would reach 84 degrees for a year. I reacently purchased a chilller and have noticed a large difference on the hard corals. So the chiller is really up to you.