Thread: Welcome samn691
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2006, 11:13 PM   #2
samn691

samn691 is on a distinguished road

Hello! I'm quite new to the hobby, I currently have 2 saltwater tanks set up, a 10G propagation tank (which could easily become a QT tank if I needed it), and a 29G reef tank.
I started my first saltwater tank in march of this year but have been keeping freshwater tanks for a few years now. My first saltwater tank was very small, only 10 gallons! About 3 weeks after starting it I changed my 29G freshwater tank to saltwater and put all my freshwater fish in my tiny 10G tank. Since my 29G FW tank was already over crowded putting it in a 10G tank didn't help at all, a week later I went to the store and traded almost all my freshwater fish for a slatwater amonia test kit. The only freshwater inhabitants I have left are 2 pearl gouramis, 3 yamato shrimp (which I want to breed, any information is welcomed) and one otocinclus (I will provide a picture of my tank after I change some water tonight). In my saltwater tanks I have 1 Green Chromis, 1 Yellow Watchman Goby, 1 Skunk Cleaner Shimp, 2 snails and one electric orange hermit. I also have a few easy corals, a star polyp which someone at my LFS gave to me (they sold the star polyp rock but it had grown on the glass too so he ripped a peice off and gave it to me while the owner wasn't looking :P), a few mushrooms (all red, can't find an other colour in any LFS arround here), 2 red polyps (not sure what kind, I saw them on a rock at a LFS, I bought the 1.5lb rock because of them) and 2 polyps with green in the center (they haven't opened up in a week, my clean-up crew keeps knocking them over since they are on a tiny rock).

Tonight I mooved a lot of stuff arround, usually everything would be in the 29G, but right now its almost empty and everything is in the 10G. I started the 10G tonight, I made it for a couple of reasons:

1) I have an aptasia anemone problem and I want to spray the anemones with lemon juice in a diffrent tank (originally I would put the affected rocks in the 10G tank, but I'm doing it the other way arround so that the #2 reason could work).

2) My star polyp isn't doing very well, it needs more light (I think) and I can't make it go any closer to my lights then it is right now(I know I don't have adequate lighting (or I think) but I don't know what lights I should get) and by putting it in a tank which is less deep and using the same lights it is therefore closer to my lights. When it was in my 29G it was on top of a pile of LR but I ran out of rocks so I couldn't make it go too high up (I also didn't want to put ALL of my LR in one pile in a corner of my tank).

3) I need to separate my clean-up crew from my star polyp and from my polyps with green centers for a little while because my clean-up crew keeps walking on them and they aren't that strong to begin with (star polyp got atacked by fireworms and the polyps were healthy but they got walked on too many times).

Because I was putting almost all of my LR in my 10G tank, I decided to put my fish with it since I only have 3 (I left the 2 snails and the hermit in the 29G so that they couldn't bother my corals).
There, that was a little about me and my tanks.

By the way, for those who wanted to know, I'm a guy that lives in Quebec, Canada that has 3 aquariums in his bedroom.
samn691 is offline   Reply With Quote