Thread: my 55
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2006, 01:42 PM   #7
stephanie

stephanie is on a distinguished road

Thanks. 55gal. Up for a year, but we transferred the sand and LR from a tank that was up for 3 years. Actually, it was a sweet ebay deal: we bought a 6 footer filled with sand and LR (and a clownfish, 2 damsels, and a wrasse-- we got rid of the wrasse) as well as a bunch of hardware and lights for $200. Then, for another 200 we bought the acrylic tank in the picture because we didn't have a wall that was six feet long. The acrylic came with the sump, a uv sterilizer, more powerheads and stuff and some lights. Then we gutted the 6 footer and sold it back on ebay for 350!

We changed the lighting when we built the stand...I should put up a picture of the stand...it's gorgeous, I even put on starfish and seahorse handles.

Anyway, 14k MH lights, regular old actinics (we are changing these...maybe VHO superblues, but after reading a post here we are looking into T5s) and some LED moon lights that suck (but, thanks to the great posts here I am going to find an autozone!).

Filtration: built in overflow (the location sucks, back center), water goes down through a prefilter into an ammonia filter, through bioballs, through heater, through chiller if it gets to warm, through UV sterizlizer, into main sump area with protein skimmer and activated carbon, and back up to tank. (I think...my boyfriend, Matt, deals with that stuff more than me...)

Circulation: a mag 13 (I think) pumps the sump water back into the tank and we have a splitter on the outflow so half goes left and the other half right. Then, there is a powerhead on each side that had a 360 rotator attachment and there is a small powerhead on the right hand side too.

Now that the broing part is over...

Fish:
A Clarkii Clown- Bubbles *he is a major pain and we've been trying to get him out of there forever!

A long-nosed hawkfish- Pinnochio

A yellow-tailed damsel- came with tank, no name, needs to go

Royal gramma- Lizzie (after Queen Elizabeth)

Chromis- Matt loves him, I'm impatiently waiting for him to meet his maker

Pygmie Angel (?)- Belle because she's beutiful

Dotty-back- Names Dorothy because that's my Grandma's name and everyone calls her Dotty

Watchman Goby- Paul Revere (his pistol shrimp is named "Two if by Sea"- sounds like a race horse!)

Corals:
Yellow leather: my pride and joy...had him sine he was 2 inches
A brain: I say it's a welso, Matt says it is a different kind.
Another brain: open
2 tumpets: one orange and green, one green (green one's getting fragged today!)
Bi-color xenia
Boring xenia
Several different zoos (the plan is to have the whole middle rock covered in different zoos!)
Green and beige blastos
Pink and blue blastos
Green galaxia
Tree coral
Purple Gorgonian
Hammer
Torch
A tree-coral type thing that Matt calls "Stag"...I don't know if that's what it is or if he named it that.
Green star polyps
Orange-Purple ricordia
Green ricordia
Blue and purple mushroom
Purple mushroom with bumps and a baby
Green striped mushroom
Pink birdsnest that we bought because I wanted to save it...it isn't doing fabulouse.
Suncoral- my other pride and joy.
I think that's it....It sounds like more than it looks!

Miscellaneous:
Blue linkia- named Polaris
Blue urchin- Stickybuns
Rock anenome- he needs to go
Rose or bubble tip anenome
hermit crabs and snails

Wow...props to anyone who reads this whole thing!
stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote