View Single Post
Old 02-23-2006, 10:56 PM   #9
D12monkey
Acrotographer

D12monkey has a spectacular aura aboutD12monkey has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to D12monkey Send a message via MSN to D12monkey Send a message via Yahoo to D12monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragOutpost
Personally I would remove any foam or sponge like filter media. These harbor nitrate producing bacteria, which is not a bad thing in a fish only or a softies tank but if you plan on keeping sps the I would remove them. If your nitrates are high then they should be easier to maintain without the foam filters. A filter sock with minimal surface area is a better choice. In a reef environment you want to encourage the growth of anaerobic bacteria and discourage the growth of aerobic bacteria.

Goniopora is, in my opinion, one of the corals that should not be harvested for massive retail distribution until more studies can be done on how to decrease the mortality rate in the home aquarium. They are a species that requires specialized care for long term success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragOutpost
I learned this lesson the hard way when I was a newbie and purchased a goniopora from the LFS who said "Sure they are easy to keep". Six months later and it was toast.

Amen to that.