View Single Post
Old 05-12-2006, 03:34 PM   #5
EvilTwin
One lucky reefkeeper

EvilTwin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to EvilTwin
Default Experiment Time!!!!

Now, I know that the thought of experimenting on your tank would be unbelievable, but fear not, I am being safe.

In an effort to find a solution to my cyano problem, I was looking around for something that would eat the stuff. There are numerous webpages that talk about a species of hermit that comes from Mexico that really likes the stuff. Figuring it can't hurt to add a few more hermits, I ordered some up from Foster's and Smith. The species that is know to eat cyano is Clibanarius Digueti. Garf.org has a blurb about them and recommends and sells them.

Well, they arrived today, so...enter the experiment. I decided that before adding them to my main display I would place them all in a specimen box along with a small piece of live rock that had some cyano growth on it to see what would happen. I wasn't too optomistic, as they all just seemed to crawl around the bottom for a bit, but eventually, they started to climb onto the rock. I wasn't too sure what they were up to but at first I suspected they were just trying to reach higher ground or play king of the hill. After spending an hour and a half on a conference call, I checked the box, and sure enough, they had consumed nearly all of the cyano on the rock. I'm impressed. So I am left wondering one thing:

Did they eat the cyano because there was nothing else to snack on? I wonder if I put them in my tank, with they continue to prefer this for food. We shall see.
EvilTwin is offline   Reply With Quote