View Single Post
Old 04-18-2006, 10:32 AM   #13
ponieexpress

ponieexpress is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragOutpost
Theoretically I guess that you could but...I would highly recommend against it. I would break down the entire tank and wash everything in a solution of vinegar diluted with water. The acidic vinegar will kill most organisms and help to break up and hardwater and mineral deposits. Be sure not to use any soap of any kind. Have you ever dosed any copper based medications in the tank before? What kind of substrate do you currently have in your tank? With seahorses you will likely want some sort of a sand bed. Deep sand beds will help in providing anaerobic bacteria a place to colonize and process nitrates. What else do you plan to keep in the tank besides seahorses? Have you researched the different types of filtration methods? Do you plan to run a sump? How big is the tank? A skimmer is also an important piece of equipment that should be on your list of things to get. HTH!

they only recommend a very small tank such as a 2-5 gallon so its not gonna be this dramatic process...like a reef tank is.
as far as substrate im gonna use black sand, plant life, sea lettuce and some plastic between the two they will have enough hitching post.dont need a sump cause the tank is very small.as far as filtration,nothing with a bio wheel or a hard wave. they need a sponge filter.cause they are so small dont want to get sucked up in the filter!i wanna get 1 small crab and 1 small snail.. food... will be the decapulated brine shrimp.couple times a day.lighting is flouresent.and i will buy a new tank for my little ponies they will get the 2 gallon. so i have been reading on seahorse.org .im not rushing into anything yet...i want to get the tank running first about 4 weeks to establish,not in a hurry..thanks for all the qs!! i do have 1 thing to tell you... it said on seahorse.org that they use distilled water.or r/o- di.what do you think?
ponieexpress is offline   Reply With Quote